RSS Feed

30 Day Challenge: THIRTY THINGS YOU DIDN’T THINK YOU COULD MAKE IN A WAFFLE IRON, BUT CAN (and, in my humble opinion, totally SHOULD!)

February 8, 2011 by Cas

“They say everything’s better with chocolate. Everything’s ALSO better with square holes punched all over it’s crisp, buttery, golden brown surface…”

- Cas Marino
THE FOOD DADDY

Here’s the “experiment” folks, or the “challenge”, if you will: every day, I will test and post another “make it in the waffle iron” concoction, based on the popularity of my other online (and offline) conversations about my first two entries… THE BROWNIE WAFFLE and THE RED VELVET WAFFLE.

Please note that not everything is necessarily from scratch. Some ideas are made easier by use of readily available (but tested and quality-assured) packaged mixes and such. If I’ve used one here, trust that I’ve tried it and enjoyed its results.

Also note that my tests were done with one of those fabulous round, twist-half-way-through-the-process, electronically timed, State Fair type of Belgian Waffle makers. You might not have one, so use your square one. But don’t hate. I’m single. I have to have something to come home to at night, and my appliances are all I’ve got, goddammit…

30 Comments »

1. Cas says:

#1: BROWNIE WAFFLES

Yes. As good as they sound. No. I’m lying. They’re freaking ten times BETTER than they sound.

They are sex for your tongue. Period. But serve them at a party and it’s like a silent orgy, because everyone shuts up and just eats…

This seems to be the point of entry into the Everything Waffle Lifestyle: it’s what people hear and prick up their ears, and it’s appeal is global, and it’s probably the easiest because everyone has, if not a favored recipe, a favored mix. And probably in the cupboard.

If you’re like me — an anal-compulsive, manic-depressive closet eater (post workout, of course) then your brownie mix is not only handy, but it has post-it notes taped to the box telling you how much of the add-your-own ingredients you need for single portions, so you can make just ONE… or to compensate for the servings you’ve already consumed dry straight out of the box in the middle of the night when you were awake, looking for something sweet, or something to substitute for a loving, meaningful relationship.

But beware: middle-of-the-night brownie mix dust can get in your lungs if you tilt the box too far up too quickly in the dark. Keep water handy. Or a Primatene Mist inhaler…

Use your own favorite recipe or your favorite box. I’ve adjusted slightly here because one thing I’m learning about All Things Waffle is that when making batter-based goodies, the batter needs to follow rules:

- It should be a bit thicker than normal (so that a simple pour won’t coat the griddle, but you have to help it along with a spoon or rubber spatula);
    - It should be a bit eggier, if eggs are the binding body, so they hold together better (see note);
    - More fat in the batter means more crispy outside. And the fat should be butter if oil is called for in the recipe, because face it: you’re making freaking cake in a waffle iron, and you left restraint and all notions of self preservation in the fucking gutter before you even opened the front door and stripped naked on your way to the kitchen.

*NOTE (I told you there’d be a note to see. Daddy Don’t Lie.) CAKES USUALLY HAVE COOLING TIME, either on a rack or in the pan. Waffle Irons want to be evacuated and refilled immediately. As do your guests. So a denser texture even if just a bit denser will allow you to get them off the griddle quicker. BUT ALSO NOTE that you need to give them a good 30 or 45 seconds after the final opening to just release some steam and cool ever so slightly to make the major difference between CRUMBLY and REMOVABLE/INCREDIBLE. Opt for the second. Choose Life.

NOW, CHATTY BITCH SHUTS UP AND IMPARTS…

THE RECIPE:

1 Box DUNCAN HINES Chewy Fudge Premium Brownie Mix
    3 Large Eggs
    5 Tbsp. Butter, melted
    2 Tbsp. Water

Mix all ingredients until well blended, about 30 seconds or 60 strokes by hand.

Spray your waffle iron with Nonstick cooking spray (dudes… not olive oil flavored, or lemon garlic… use your heads).

Spread batter just to edges of griddle. Not too deeply puddled — it will rise and spread a bit, and there’s nowhere for it to go but OUT.

Cook to well done. If there’s a timer setting on your iron (mine goes to six, and I use five) go almost to the max. Otherwise, you can use your judgment. I trust you.

When you’re satisfied they’re done, open the iron, and let the brownies cool for about 45 seconds to a minute, taking the “Open time” opportunity while the crumb is not completely set to use a knife edge or spatula edge to separate the individual waffles or Belgian quarters.

Stick a fork under an edge or through the center by way of the edge to lift and remove.

Serve hot off the grill (your salivating guests will NOT wait for them to cool) with a dusting of powdered sugar, a dollop of whipped topping, and a drizzle of chocolate syrup, or….

PEANUT BUTTER BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:

1/2 Stick Butter
    1/2 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
    1/2 Cup Confectioners Suger
    1 tsp. Vanilla extract
    dash of Salt

Cream butter and peanut butter with electric beaters until smooth; add vanilla and salt and beat until combined; scrape down sides, add half the sugar and beat until incorporated; add remaining sugar, carefully beat on low to incorporate, then beat on high until fluffy.

You can glop it on with a spoon, get fancy with a piping bag, or meet in the middle by spooning it into a ziplock sandwich bag, snipping off a corner, and pooping it out onto the warm brownie waffles.

Then suck the rest of the frosting out of the bag because like the brownie waffles themselves, this shit is off the freaking chain.

• Joanne says:

Oh yum! I’ll be stopping off to buy one of these mixes on my way home tonight! The peanut butter frosting sounds delicious too! I foresee lots of nights making waffle brownies for The Girl.

• Cas says:

The other night I gave my guests a choice — batters prepared — of mini-muffin bites or waffles. They all pouted as they heard me lament having to clean the waffle maker after, but when I admitted it really wasn’t that big a chore they pretty well agreed that the concept has all but killed the mini-muffin as a niche in treat-baking. I think as this experiment progresses I’m going to find that the waffle iron has to stay down on the counter top and not put up on the high shelf where its use is implied to be irregular. Keep following, and let us know how your experience with the brownie waffles changes your life. And if you make any modifications or stumble across some revelatory change… SHARE!

• Joanne says:

These are awesome! The family is chowing down as I type. Took a try or two to figure out the exact timing for doneness but YUMMM! Oh and the Peanut Butter Buttercream is great. Now I’m hoping I can freeze a few and toast to reheat. That would be golden.

Oh and Cas, my niece and I came up with another idea for you to wrap your head around. S’mores Waffles.

• Cas says:

Joanne, I’m so happy you’re all enjoying! I’m MOST happy it’s become a family thing; in my Italian roots, which I cherish as a foundation of my existence, food was not a love substitute but universally recognized as a symbol of love. If you couldn’t give a guy a dollar you could invite him to your table. There was always one more bowl to be culled from the amount of soup on hand, because the Lord’s hand is always in the stock pot. Visitors were not shown to the living room. That was for television. The were seated at the table and given a drink and a plate of something readily available, be it cookies or fruit and nuts and cheese, while the host set about preparing REAL food. Food means being together. Together means family. And eating with family is in my book what the term “communion” truly embraces. That being said, YES you have to play with cook time. I have never been one to follow what appliance-based recipes tell me because they weren’t devised on MY appliance. It’s truly a case of “I guess you had to be there” to get it right. NOW… tell your niece that Food Daddy loves her for all her foodie fabulous foresight, and that I will ABSOLUTELY take the challenge of developing a S’mores Waffle! If it works and if it’s a hit, you’ll have to share her name so she can forever be immortalized here as its Muse and reason for being.

• AlliDu says:

Great. I have brownie mix up the wazoo (thank you teen daughter) and a waffle iron that has yet to have its maiden voyage. Know what my weekend activity (after walking 10 miles of course m’dear) will be. Thank you Food Daddy!

2. Nancy says:

This beats defatted peanut meal all to hell!

3. Cas says:

#2: RED VELVET WAFFLES

If BROWNIE WAFFLES are the point of entry into the ATW (“All Thing Waffle”) culinary mindset, then RED VELVET WAFFLES are the first intersection you hit once you enter, whereupon you realize “Holy Crap, this can get scary and meaningful and pretty messed up in a completely amazing way.”

This is the recipe, which again is from a box with my modifications for texture and proper waffle-cook-ability, that led to my understanding that everything you can bake can be ironed, with some adjustments.

Use your favorite box mix. I’ve noted mine. If you have a favorite scratch recipe, then by all means go scratch yourself silly. If you want to TRY a scratch recipe, I’d recommend you try one of these on for size:

Pick one that suits your baking level, and read the reviews because these foodies can be fussbudgets. Ignore the frosting in any recipe you use, and make the one I added below. It’s simple, it’s delicious, and it’s just the right consistency for these.

Honestly, though, you have to be a real glutton for punishment to forgo the box and do it from scratch. We might not be economizing on calories here, but we can at least economize on time. Especially since my experience with good Red Velvets is that the batter is very fussy itself, and it doesn’t prepare well ahead of time. Conversely, if you’re making these for entertaining, you can prepare a more “fool-proof” box batter ahead of time and leave it to chill in the fridge until dessert time. Chilled batter will indeed work not only well, but even better.

Containing leavening above and beyond the eggs that provide the small “lift” to the brownies, this and all other leavened batters will spread even more on the hot waffle iron. DON’T go all the way with your fill or you’ll have a whole lot of seepage and clean-up-age when it fully rises and bakes off.

Also, if you ignore my recommendation and go with a different mix or a different recipe, do NOT fall into the category of faux Red Velvet aficionado and opt for a yellow-cake base; Red Velvet is supposed to be — SUPPOSED TO BE — a chocolate cake with so much red food coloring added that it overcomes the brown and just becomes a deep and earth-shattering, heart-stopping, horny-making shade of red. That pristine dark pink version of red you see in gourmet bakeries these days is great for photo shoots. But if you’re gonna do more than just fucking stare at this dessert, don’t get lured by false (non-fudgy) prophets.

Shut up Cas. Recipe please…

RED VELVET WAFFLES

1 Box DUNCAN HINES Moist Delicious Red Velvet Cake mix
    3 Large eggs
    1/2 Cup butter, melted
    3/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp. Water

Mix all the ingredients EXCEPT the 2 Tbsp. water until well blended. If you feel the batter is too stiff at this stage, add 1 Tbsp. of the additional water, and the second if necessary. The day’s humidity may have an effect.

BEAT the batter on high speed for 2 minutes until smooth and velvety.

HOT WAFFLE IRON set or timed to just under maximum wellness. Again, leave room for spread because this batter will rise quite a bit (leave a quarter inch from edges and don’t pile it too high before closing the lid.

When you open, let steam escape for a good minute before trying to remove it from the griddle. During the cool time here, cut the wedges at the seams for easier removal, and gently transfer to serving plate.

These MUST be frosted, and you MUST try the following:

SIMPLE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
    1/4 Cup butter, at room temp
    1/2 Cup (4 oz., or half a brick) regular (not whipped) cream cheese
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/4 tsp. salt
    3/4 Cup confectioners sugar

Whip the butter and cream cheese together until smooth, then add the salt and vanilla, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and beat on high for about a minute until completely smooth.

Add the confectioners sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, fully incorporating each addition. Once all sugar is in, whip the frosting on high for a minute until fluffy.

TWO OPTIONS HERE: Spread it on Red Velvet Waffles with a knife as if you were slathering on a thick layer of butter. OR, if you want to pipe it on and pile up the frosting (some people love tons of frosting on a baked treat) then double the recipe, put it in a ziplock baggie, and refrigerate until ready to use. When ready, knead the bag until it becomes tempered, snip a corner of the bag off, and pipe away.

In a word: FREAKINGDELICIOUS.

• Nancy says:

Do you use unsalted butter and then add the salt? Or are you using salted butter and adding additional salt? Just wondering.

4. Allison says:

you sned me these now? k thanks.

• Cas says:

I will gladly, Allison. If I freeze the frosting, it might actually make the trip, too. Consider this done….

• Cas says:

NOTE TO OTHER FOOD DADDYISTS: The Food Daddy does NOT ordinarily take online orders from his readership. He DOES, however, as in the above case, make exceptions for those who have, since birth, actually called him “Daddy” :)

5. Amy G. says:

These sound awesome!!! Especially the red velvet ones.. I will eat anything with cream cheese frosting!

6. Cynthia says:

Now I have to get a waffle iron, what about making the mini’s good for school birthday parties or bake sales. You know how I love to bake. Will use my coupons for bed bath and beyond to good use, of course coupons will be used, lol. Keep the recipes coming

7. Jenn says:

Sweet Mother of Pearl… I am headed to the store now for the Red Velvet Waffle ingredients. Thankfully, I was hoping to gain a few pounds by dinner! :)

• Cas says:

Jenn, you’ve earned a place at the Taste-Testers table… I’ll let you know what other stuff I get going on as this progresses, and maybe like all good drug deals we can arrange a convenient drop off location and I can just casually walk past you and stuff waffle-laden “To-Go” packs into your purse like it’s nobody’s business…

8. Farah Chandu says:

like I said on my FB…all we need now is to stay up late swapping manly stories and we have ourselves a goood time.

going to try a blondie recipe and get back to you with results if i can borrow my SIL’s waffle iron

• Cas says:

Yes, please report back! I have the blondie fixin’s here and ready to go, but having covered the concept with the brownies I’m going to leave that toward the end, or just add to the “A Month Was Not Enough” addendum to the Experiment :)

9. Lynda says:

I love this and I can’t wait for the savory waffles – yum!! I’m banking my WW points so I can try some of these recipes.

• Cas says:

Ladies and Gents, more on this particular Lady soon, but meet Lynda. She is my muse in this 30-Day Challenge, in that not long ago while I was fielding Facebook friends’ input on favorite comfort foods, Lynda opened her beautiful mouth (or tapped the keyboard with her beautiful fingers) and spoke (or typed) two beautiful, provocative words I’d never heard before but would embrace as culinary dogma thereafter: BROWNIE WAFFLES. I’d say “I love you for that, Ms. Kirkby White”; but I think it’s safe to say now that we ALL love you for that. See what you started?

10. Monica Stiles says:

I love your waffle project, it is so fun and creative. I made the Red Velvet Waffle with the cream cheese frosting.

Thanks!
    M

• Cas says:

I’m so pleased, Monica! The Red Velvet is one of my firsts and still one of my absolute favorites. I’m glad you enjoyed it, and I hope you’ll try some others as well!

11. Crystal says:

Just discovered your site and started cracking up – thanks! I linked back to this particular entry because I attempted to make brownie waffles last night, and well, fail. I’ll try again though!

12. Ruby says:

I am reading the posts and salivating .. I am doing a mental scan of all the ingredients I have in the pantry .. it’s a battle of two evils — make the Brownie Waffles or walk away from the waffles and maintain my figure … .oh well! Heat up the waffle iron! … love your side and the way you talk about food OMG! lol

• Cas says:

God invented the waffle iron, therefore it is good.

And since He made it with multiple wells, I see no need to defy Him by only making one KIND of waffle at a time.

That, to my mind, would bring on the apocalypse. And your figure will survive the onslaught :)